Monday, November 23, 2009

We've got a walker!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Nora had taken a couple of steps on her own. We were waiting and waiting for her to figure out that this was an efficient mode of locomotion and that she could, indeed, do it on her own. She's been pushing her walker around for ages, and had become confident walking around just holding onto Mom or Dad's finger, but finally, Friday evening, she just stood up in the middle of the floor and walked over to us like she'd been doing it all her life.

She's still not convinced it's always the best way to get around, but she's been getting a kick out of the big fuss we make whenever she's brave enough to go it alone.

On a related note, I attempted to buy her shoes a few weeks ago. It was an ill-advised experiment, not unlike trying to get a dog to wear shoes. She crawled around the shoe store crying and yelling and shaking first one foot and then the other. "Are you crazy? I use these!" seemed to be Nora's message. "Why are you trying to put them in boxes??" I relented, of course. The fact that the shoes cost $42 didn't help, either.

On an unrelated note, she said "Birdie" yesterday. Just the one time, but clear as a bell.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Sure, she says "birdie," but does she say anything approximating "grandmama"?
No.

Meg said...

Would you feel better if we made her call you Birdie?

Leslie said...

No. I am not the Birdie type. Maybe Dingo.

Leslie said...

Actually, this is an adorable video. I like that you got up close to her face.

Leslie said...

I keep finding new things to love about this video. Like what she says and how she keeps that tongue out after she licks the window and gets a raise from you. This may be my favorite video yet.