Luckily, the Baba Fairy came along and solved the problem for us.
I casually broached the subject of the Baba Fairy one day-- how the Baba Fairy leaves really great presents for kids who give her their babas, and then the BF gives those babas to kids who don't have any. But when I asked her whether she was ready to give the Baba Fairy her babas, she replied definitively that she was not.
So Rich and I brought up the Baba Fairy here and there for a week or two, and one day on a walk, Nora brought her up herself. "The Baba Fairy is going to bring me a present," she said. "Yes!" I replied. "Should we wrap up your babas for her when we get home?" "Yup." And that was it.
So we went home, found a box and some tissue paper, and made a nice presentation for the BF to find.
And off to nap we went. When she (ok, we) woke up, this pink trike was waiting for her on the front steps.
She only asked for a baba one more time after that. She cried, and I cried a little bit too, thinking about how getting older means getting new privileges and abilities, but it also means giving things up that you never get back. I'm getting pretty schmaltzy in my old age.
1 comment:
It's hard not to cry at every new step and small loss. As amazing as she is now, I still miss the little one-year-old Nora.
Post a Comment