Friday, December 19, 2008

Baby Blues

Why is it that when I dress Nora in anything other than pink or purple, people assume she is a boy? Do all the other colors belong to boys? I reject that notion, so until Nora grows some hair or develops secondary sex characteristics, I guess she'll just continue to confound strangers. (Please god let the hair grow in first.)

Other items that apparently belong only on boys' clothing:

  • Doggies
  • Sailboats
  • Vehicles of all kinds
  • Sports paraphernalia
Girls, on the other hand, get:
  • Kitty cats
  • Hearts
  • Inappropriately suggestive mottoes such as "Little Flirt!" (always with the exclamation points)
  • Phrases that tie self-worth to appearance ("Cutie Pie!" "Butterface!" etc.)
Pootermonkey Quiz: Based on the aforementioned examples suggesting that despite the conventions of the English language, every object has an inherent gender, on which gender's clothing do the following items belong?
  • Weather phenomena
  • Invertebrates
  • Office supplies
  • Quotations from Rick Springfield songs
  • Fungi
  • Rock candy
  • Real estate

3 comments:

five dot design said...

Unfortunately, this is something you'll just have to get over. Until those bazongas start busting out, no one will ever be 100% sure (or unless she runs around with no pants on in public forums and then we're dealing with a whole other problem). Thanks to generations of assigning pink to girls and blue to boys, it's the only way to really tell the gender. Welcome to motherhood. now please dress her in Sibcy Cline and Comey Shepard clothing so that I may answer your quiz appropriately.

Anonymous said...

Butterface?

Meg said...

Y'know, "Everything on her is gorgeous but her face." Butterface. Little joke, there. I haven't really seen it on girls' clothes.