Sunday, April 19, 2009

Note to My Pregnant Self

Here are some things I wish I had known when I was pregnant and newly not-pregnant. I've learned so much in the last five months that I can't resist unloading advice and information on pregnant friends and relatives, which I suspect is a little tiring. So I'm thinking if I write it here, maybe I won't be so tempted to follow pregnant women around lecturing them.

1) Nap like it's your job.
Ok, I didn't need anyone to tell me this when I was pregnant. I napped on my lunch breaks; I napped after work and then went straight to bed; I napped on weekends while the sun was shining in the window and more able-bodied people were frolicking outside. And I'm glad I did, because the first weeks after Nora was born were demoralizingly exhausting, and it was nice to have the memory of lazy, luxurious, sun-dappled naps to sustain me.

2) Organize whatever you can before the baby comes.
I'm sure there are wonderful toys and adorable outfits we never even used because they weren't someplace I could easily access with a baby in my arms.

3) Read up on baby care before the baby comes.
I educated myself like crazy about pregnancy, but I forgot to read anything about caring for an actual infant. And then when Nora was born, I didn't have time to read anything, so I pretty much winged it.

4) Everything gets better. And I mean much better.
The first month or so of new babyhood is hard on everybody. You're not sleeping (see above), you're not sure what you're doing, your body doesn't feel very good, and you're pumped full of crazy hormones. You spend all day focusing on the baby, who doesn't seem to notice you. You're frantically trying to figure out breastfeeding (see below), and your house is falling to pieces around you because you can' t seem to do any cleaning at all. You're up all hours of the day and night. Well-meaning visitors show up unannounced to your dirty house and your crying baby and interrupt whatever schedule you're trying to establish. This is actually a hazing ritual for new moms. Give it 6 weeks and it'll be a whole 'nother universe. Your baby will start smiling at you, your body and hormones will be slightly more normal, you will have learned how to eke out enough sleep to stay alive. Your house, however, will still be filthy, and it always will be.

5) Breastfeeding is hard!
Anyone who says it doesn't hurt is doing it wrong, in my opinion. It's a bizarre interaction that's natural, sure, but that doesn't mean it comes easily to you or the baby. The message I wish I had gotten five months ago is that it's normal for it to be difficult, and that it can take many weeks and help from a variety of friends and professionals before it all clicks. (If it literally clicks, you're doing it wrong.) It's worth sticking it out, as it were.

5b) Also, not all lactation consultants are very helpful.
The ones at the hospital strongly encouraged me to put Nora on formula almost right away, which I did; looking back on it with a little more education, I wish I had resisted that advice and tried longer before supplementing with formula. The hospital LCs have to balance the greater good and liability for the hospital with your individual need, so they want to make sure your baby gets fed right away, one way or the other. We did eventually get back to breastfeeding, but introducing the bottle so early did make it more difficult. If anybody in Cincinnati is looking for a great and very patient lactation consultant who doesn't get weirded out if you cry in front of her, see Dr. Ridder at Children's Hospital's breastfeeding clinic. She's like a breastfeeding detective. Which generates an odd mental image.

6) Sometimes, babies just cry.
Sometimes, you do everything you can humanly think of to stop your baby from crying, and it just keeps wailing. It's a good lesson in not being able to control everything. Sometimes, the best you can do is to hold her and let her know you'll always be there when she's unhappy. In most cases, that's not a cause-and-effect thing.

7) You're probably doing just fine.
I believe my pediatrician told me this, and it gives me great comfort: There are lots of right ways to take care of a baby, as long as you love it and feed it, and very few ways to really get it wrong. So try to relax and trust yourself.

I'd love to hear from other moms what lessons they have to hold back from inflicting on pregnant women. What do you wish you had known way back when?

3 comments:

Ecotistical said...

Meg, what a great list to offer. I wish I would have written a note to myself when I was just over the four-month hump, however, when I look back at the early months, the following stick out (still):
1 - Be prepared to cry for no reason and for really strange reasons. (Really? That song can do that to me? The picture book, too?)
2 - The nurses told me when I called them crying one evening (see item 1) that loving my baby was going to get me through. They were right.
3 - The older my baby gets, the less terrified I am... but in the beginning, I was terrified. Fortunately, item 2 held true.

As for the breastfeeding, I consider myself really lucky in that it "took off" on the fourth day. This, after a LOT of reading and consulting and talking to people during months eight and nine of my pregnancy. I knew if there was a failure point in the process, it was going to start with the breastfeeding, so I tried to learn everything I could prior to giving birth. A great book: Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby. And, I know how odd this sounds... but Joe was actually the one who proved to be the best LC. He listened in the hospital (when I was too f-ing tired to process sentences, let alone a new biological concept) and worked with me to help Phoebe get properly positioned. But in those first days when she wasn't latching, that was one of the most frustrating and tear-inducing situations of all.

Last, WTF on that "wrong" website?! Are you kidding me? her first high heels? Why not just give her some lotus feet while you're at it...

Okay, sorry to have rambled all over your post!! Can you tell I'm getting some computer time while Phoebe naps? LOL

Katie said...

Hi, I'm Sarah Whitman's sister. GREAT POST!! I'm 4 months into bfing and was wondering if there is a support group in the area that isn't LLL. Do you have any idea? How did you get hooked up with Children's? I had a great LC at Good Sam, btw, but with my first child the LC was awful and they MADE me supplement in the hospital. So, I can relate!

Meg said...

Hi Katie! You know who I get most of my breastfeeding advice from? Your sister! I don't know of any non-La Leche League groups around here; I guess I can't really see myself joining a group, but at the same time I always have questions. So I bug Sarah.

I found out about Children's Breastfeeding Clinic through my doctor. Thank goodness for them; I might very well have given up if it weren't for their patience and encouragement.