Remember being a little kid and getting scared or lonely in the middle of the night, and how good-- almost miraculous-- it felt when your mom came in to sit with you or help you get over a bad dream? How strange and wonderful it is to now be the mom in that equation.
Nora is normally reliable about sleeping through the night without a peep, but tonight when I put her down in her crib she suddenly became brightly alert and just wanted to roll and scoot around, looking at all her toys. When she became enthralled by her Ugli doll, I took the opportunity to sneak downstairs to my pizza dinner. About five minutes later, Nora started to cry, so-- after trying to act tough and ignoring her for about 30 seconds-- I went upstairs and picked her up.
I sang a couple of songs to her (our usual set is "Blackbird" and "I Will" by the Beatles, and "Stay Awake" and "Somewhere Out There," both Disney songs), and then I set her back in her crib and gave her her pacifier. She was still awake, but after a little extra Mommy time she slipped easily into sleep.
It's times like these that I realize I really do feel like a mom now. I can't pinpoint the moment when having my own daughter went from surreal to normal, but these instances where I know I can comfort her, maybe in a way that nobody else could-- well, it's just pretty incredible, that's all.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is wonderful. You have acted like a mom for 6 months, and a very assured one. It is amazing to see my own baby girl being such a loving and competent mother. Of course, Nora kind of makes it easy to be loving.
Mom
Post a Comment