Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Random Mystery of Toddlerhood

How is it that my brilliant child knows 50 words-- a mind-bending 47 more than the underachieving What to Expect: The Toddler Years advises me to expect-- and still has not mastered food-related words like "more" or "eat" or "food"?

It's not that she doesn't love to eat; my girl is off the charts in more ways than one. And if I run a little late for dinner, she'll retrieve a play spoon and bowl from her kitchen and position herself in front of me, pretending to eat and saying "Yummy!" How come all of a sudden she's so circumspect about demanding something?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

And according to your word list she can say "Sylvia" and still no Grandmama or even anything close??? No name that is mine alone? What kind of a crazy household are you running there?

Meg said...

You are "Mama." She has made this very clear. I am "Mommy." There's something pleasantly Southern about her calling you Mama, so I'm ok with it.

Leslie said...

Maybe we can nudge her into moving from "mama" to "mamaw." I feel weird being called "mama." Like it is temporary and borrowed.