This morning was Nora's weekly blood test to check her platelet counts. They've been up and down, but for the most part, the pattern is this: Her numbers go way down, so they bring her into the hospital to do the IVIG treatment, and then her numbers go up right away and peak the following week, and then the next week she's back down and needs the IVIG again. We've had 3 hospital stays in 6 weeks, all for a kid with basically no discernible symptoms.
I was feeling pessimistic about this week's numbers, in part because last week's were just barely over the minimum to avoid hospitalization at 21,000, and in part because I had a dream that (like any responsible parent of a toddler) I shaved Nora's legs, and blood started seeping from all her little follicles.
So, to cut to the chase, the nurse coordinator just called me to say Nora's numbers are up to 87,000 today! This is the first time they've increased on their own, without an IVIG treatment to artificially bump them up! In fact, her numbers are so good that we get to wait two weeks before testing her again, unless we start seeing lots of bruises and petichiae.
I basically forced the nurse to say that this could mean she's starting to turn the corner, that Nora's immune system is beginning to realize that it's got the wrong Lebowski, so to speak.
So I'm going to go ahead and get my hopes up, do a little dance, and revert to a more negligent approach to my daughter's physical safety for the weekend.
But she'll have to shave her own legs from now on.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am so glad she won't have to wear her helmet in this hot weather. She has been very noble about it so far.
Well, I"m sure we'll take the weekend off helmet-wise, but one test isn't really enough to completely let down our guard. I'll probably keep bringing it with us everywhere, feeling mildly guilty for not making her wear it, for awhile.
This is wonderful news! I'm sending more positive thoughts your way.
Post a Comment