Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Independence Day

Playing with cousin Abie the Baby.



This is what passes for a hug. She's clearly accustomed to being the huggee.


Pigtails and a pink Vespa.

We spent 4th of July at my Aunt Denise's, as we always do, cooking out and watching the fireworks being set off in all directions from Deni and Jack's house. Nora got to play with her cousins Abe the Babe and Big Girl Gwennie, and had a blast-- she was gentle and solicitous with Abe and was happy to be included in Gwen's games and play with her wonderful toys (like the Vespa, above).

But by far the best part of the evening was after we changed Nora into her jammies and pulled out her blankie and bottle, sitting outside with all the relatives, Nora snuggled into my lap starting to get drowsy, experiencing fireworks with her for the first time. True to form, she didn't gasp or squeal when the fireworks boomed and burst all around us, but every once in awhile when it got quiet, she would whisper, "More."

Will she be snuggly like this next year? Who knows. I know enough to savor these moments.




1 comment:

Leslie said...

I just now discovered these pictures. I LOVE her in pigtails, and I get a kick out of the photo where she is poised to receive a kiss from Abe, who has no clue. She is such a sweet little girl.