So many things to update you on, and to record for posterity. First of all, I've officially stopped trying to keep track of all the words Nora knows; She repeats so much of what we say that it's hard to know which words she truly understands and which ones she's just parroting, but I'm certain she's learning new words every day. What's more, she's starting to put words together into proto-sentences.
It's so interesting to see language evolve: first, she was saying words for objects; then she learned some stock phrases ("Bless you" after someone sneezes, "Excuse me" when she needs to get past, "Oh shoot" when she drops something, etc.); after that, she picked up some verbs-- "fly," "eat." Last night, we heard Baxter trip down a couple of stairs. Later, as I was putting Nora to bed, she said, "Baxter fall." Actually, she said it about two hundred times. Then "Baxter fall" morphed into "Daddy fall." Then this morning, my mom came over for a few minutes; after Nora and I talked about it, she said, "Bamama coming!"
So I'm calling it: Nora has spoken her first sentence.
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Also talk about how she tells jokes. Well, one joke which she and I laugh at heartily.
Here is the joke:
She touches something that is obviously NOT hot, like her teddy bear, and she says, "Ouch. Hot. Ouch!" and she shakes her hand around like it has been burned.
Wait. Is this a joke, or did I just teach my granddaughter to lie?
Post a Comment