Nora and I met my mom and dad for lunch yesterday. A big, tough-looking bald guy (just Nora's type) was sitting at the table next to ours with his wife/girlfriend. As they got up to leave, he stopped by our table and said, "That is one very loved little baby. We've been watching you this whole time, and it sure shows."
I'm pretty sure I responded with something flip, trying to be funny ("Eh, she's okay, I guess"), but I keep tearing up thinking about it-- here I am sitting at my desk at work, and my eyes are welling up-- at the idea that a stranger can pick up on how completely treasured Nora is by her whole family.
I'm sure we'll make plenty of mistakes in the decades to come, but if we do nothing else right, I hope Rich and I can give Nora the foundation to go out into the world always secure in the fact that she is a very, very loved person.
Ugh, I'm crying again. Thanks, bald guy. That was about the best compliment a mother could get.
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Treasured is the exact perfect description. She's made it easy for us. She's just so darn loveable. I've spent much of my morning looking at these new pictures.
I never would have expected anything different from you or Rich. When my mom, dad, and I came to meet Nora at the hospital, there was nothing but adoration in either of your faces. Nora is one very lucky little girl to have parents like you, and the bald guy couldn't have been more right.
Oh, Alex, what a sweet thing to say! Thanks! And for the record, your parents look at you the same way.
Post a Comment